Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cilantro is Gross; Avocado Salsa is a Wonderful Substitute!

Well, hope that the title didn't offend all of you. You can like cilantro if you want to - but really?

Thankfully neither the hub nor I enjoy it - too minty maybe? - so I can substitute things that are actually good when I make dinner.

I got a recipe from a friend for AMAZING pulled pork burritos that has a cilantro dressing topping. Not for us. Nope. We substitute a wonderful avocado-tomato salsa that is superior to top them.

You'll thank me.

The start of this recipe was from a cookbook I bought for a dollar on clearance. It was written in the UK and is mostly full of things that look really awful - salmon jello and eggplant slime on toast kinds of things. But this little treasure survived with some tweaking.

I can't cook without tweaking. That gets really irritating to friends who want my recipes. I am a little uneven in my work. And it is hard to tell you what I did when I just dump and pour. But this one I think I have down enough to pass on. I think.



Avocado and Tomato Salsa



Ingredients:


3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons lime juice
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1  4 ounce can diced green chilis
1/3 of a medium onion, diced finely
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 ripe tomato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (or use 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half)

Mix everything together and let the flavors blend for about half an hour before you eat. Serve it over pork burritos, quesadillas, or eat it by itself as a side salad.


If all you can get are cardboard tomatoes from the grocery store, opt for cherry tomatoes for a little brighter flavor. But there is nothing that can beat garden fresh tomatoes. Nothing.

2 comments:

  1. yummy.. definitely going to try that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, but especially good on pulled pork burritos. I like it straight like salad.

      Delete